- Location: Catania
- Coord. UTM (Zone 33S):
506,715 E – 4,148,950 N
- Site area: 1.1 ha
- Construction period: under construction
- Assignment: Final and executive design, Environmental Impact Study and AIA (Environmental Integrated Authorization) proceedings
- Cost: 6,150,772.56 €
- Operations according to All. B and C at Part IV of D.Lgs. 152/06 s.m.i.: D8, D9, D15
- Maximum potentiality:
- Working days per year: 350
- Treatment sections:
- preliminary solid separation with grill
- acidic and alkaline waste neutralization
- Sand and oil separation
- Biological treatment with activated sludge with denitrification section
- final sedimentation
- UV disinfection
- sludge line: thickening, aerobic biostabilization and mechanical dehydration.
- Air treatment: fan system and air treatment from plant section with higher production of odorous substances: 45,000 Nm³/hour
- Biofilter surface: 400 m²
The plant is placed within a very strategic area because it’s near the port of Catania, well served by the railway tracks. The platform is designed to treat both oily emulsions and the so-called bilge water that may come from the nearby port area of Catania. The system can also treat hazardous and non-hazardeous liquid waste from the industrial centers of eastern Sicily (e. g. Priolo Gargallo, Siracusa, Gela, etc.).
The plant architecture provides the possibility to treat wastewater of different nature on separate lines. A first slurry line will be devoted to the treatment of sewage with a high organic load (such as the food industry waste and the spoils of septic tanks), for which an initial solids separation by grill and a physical – chemical pretreatment in clariflocculator are provided. A second process line will be dedicated to acidic and alkaline wastewater, for which a preliminary neutralization and the physical-chemical treatment in clariflocculator are provided. Finally, A third line slurry will be suited for the treatment of liquid waste with a high content of oily emulsions, bilge water and so called “recalcitrant” waste (such as surfactants) and a sedimentation with intercepting of oil and a preliminary oxidation with Fenton reagent are provided. After the different stages of pre-treatment, all the sewage lines are equalized and subjected to biological treatment with activated sludge. Subsequent steps of denitrification and final sedimentation are then provided. Finally, the tertiary treatments provide a filtration with sand and activated carbon and a final UV disinfection. The sludge line is constituted by a mechanical dewatering for the chemical-physical sludge and a thickening followed by aerobic stabilization and mechanical dehydration for the biological one. All plant sections are equipped with air suction devices in order to reduce VOC emissions.